When they found Sridevi's lost sister

When I was a girl, my father had subscribed to the magazine 'Cine Blitz' which was delivered, each and every month, to his office address. One evening, my father came home looking very excited.

Opening his Samsonite briefcase (yes, those were the days when all respectable office going people had to carry a briefcase), he brouhgt out the latest issue of Cine Blitz. Now remember, those were the days of limited TV and there wasn't much of a concept of Page 3 back, so we got most of our filmy gossip in magazines. Month on month, we would wait for the issue to be delivered. And we would take turns to devour the filmy gossip. 

So coming back to the point, calling out to my mom, my dad waved the magazine in front of me looking very excited. 

Actual Cover of Cine Blitz
"It seems that Sridevi had a beautiful sister hidden away somewhere and no one in the world knew about it."

"What?" I was more excited than my mother. There she was, on the cover of this magazine. Flawless complexion, beautiful beautiful woman. An apt sibling for the superstar. How could she be hidden for so long? And why did she have to reveal herself now? You can see for yourself, how beautiful this unknown woman was. 

I don't remember exactly how and when this was revealed but a few days later, we came to know that this was not Sridevi's sister. She wasn't related to Sridevi in any way. And what was the most shocking news? She wasn't even a woman!!!

As we shocked as we all were, it turns out that this was one of the most elaborate pranks ever played on the readers of Cine Blitz. This was an April Fool prank. The person behind this face was none another than the fabulous actor Anupam Kher!!! Can you imagine the balding actor passing off as a beautiful woman? And this was long before photoshop existed, mind you. A big salute to the make-up artist and the photographer. Mickey Contractor and the Late Gautam Rajyadhakshya. 

As I sat, today morning, sipping on my chai and thinking about April Fool's Day pranks, this was the one which came instantly to my mind. In my opinion, on of the best Fool's Day pranks ever. 

NOTE: 
I got the image from the internet. This was the actual cover which came out that month. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to combat swimming pool chlorine

She may wear shorts...so does that make her a slut?

Review: Origin